Findings

While writing my findings, I had to recognize exactly what belonged within it. I had to realize that this is read in congruence with everything else that I have written in this class, so I did not need any introductory information. This was primarily facts that appropriately supported my findings. This did not include any of my feelings. Simply facts and analysis to explain what I found.

Findings

My time spent with Feminism for All was an educational experience. I was looking forward to exploring how this group supports women within the school community and beyond. Specifically, my research wanted to explore how Feminism for All supported women as a grassroots organization.  I was looking to see how they provided self-defense classes, provided sexual assault awareness, and women’s empowerment. I learned that Feminism for All, as a grassroots organization, relies on the school community to provide self-defense and empowerment.

I was impressed by how collaborative Feminism for All is. For the self-defense class, they collaborated with Public Safety.  At my second observation, the diversity event was based on collaboration between clubs that allowed for people to share perspectives and ideas in an effective way. Injeian is a driving force for this. She made it clear to me that being open to as many perspectives as possible is important to her. Her passion is evident, and she clearly wants to help the college community. At both of the events, people left feeling like they learned something new, which shows that the events produced a beneficial outcome.

Despite the successful collaborations, I did find some faults. Injeian is very busy. She has lots of commitments. Because of this, she cannot devote as much attention to the club, as someone else. For example, Injeian ended up being late to the diversity event. For both the self-defense class and the diversity event, they were only announced a week before they were planned to happen. I also know that Injeian meant for the self-defense to happen a week earlier, but that changed because of scheduling conflicts. Because of this, the club has not been more successful in making themselves more known throughout the campus. Their advertising is entirely on Facebook and word of mouth. Right now, their reach is short, but that may grow with time.

In terms of the self-defense class, those who took it left happy and felt they had more information than before. But, the class was within a limited time frame, between classes, and other events scheduled in the ballroom. So, Public Safety could not teach a comprehensive class. This is the downfall of a group like this. To thoroughly learn self-defense, either you have to take multiple classes or dedicate a whole day to it. What Feminism for All provided was a preview that exposed us to self-defense. The long-term efficacy is low, but it did give some confidence to us participants. It also showed that self-defense is accessible and inspired those who took the class to take further classes.

In all, Feminism for All is a welcoming place for students to gather. They provide a great source for connections, support. Their moves to empower and teach self-defense, are great first steps in helping women in the school community. They exposed us to self-defense and allowed us to get a taste for the confidence it inspires. Its effects are short term, but they may lead to those involved pursuing self-defense further.